Monday, September 8, 2008

Today at the hospital

As soon as Matt and I walked into Angela's hospital room, she waved to us. I was so thrilled! Every time I've gone in to see her, she's been sleeping. She even opened her eyes for a little bit. Angela's eyes are still really swollen, but at least she can open the other eye now.

Angela was able to get her breathing tube removed today. Because that wasn't in her mouth, she started talking. I was so excited! I couldn't really hear what she said some of the time, because the machines are so loud and so far she can only whisper.
While I was there, the speech therapist came in and helped her with eating. First he tried crushed ice and from there he tried juice. She could hardly open her mouth, but he kept encouraging her. After the juice, he had her eat some pudding and then drink some water.

After the speech therapist tried feeing her, he started asking her questions. First he asked if she knew what state she was in and she said, "no." Then he gave her 3 different states and asked her again and she said, "Idaho." Then he asked if she knew what city she was in and she said, "Boise." He asked if she knew where she was and she said, "hospital." I was really excited! He continued to ask questions and she would answer, sometimes she needed multiple choice answers, then she would answer correctly. She still doesn't remember why she is in the hospital. He had to tell her that she was in a car accident.

Angela is looking better and better everyday. She is very uncomfortable and tries to pull out tubes. Her personality is really showing through, despite her injuries. I got a little emotional, because I am just so excited that I could be there to witness these small steps that she is taking towards recovery. We were only there a short time, because we wanted her to rest. She looked really tired. Angela is still in the ICU, so friends and extended family, are still not allowed to see her. We will keep you posted and let everyone know when it's okay. Thank you for your love and prayers!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

good to hear!! that would make me so excited too!!! i am glad there is so many good people there to help her as well. Thanks again for the update. Were always here for you and your family

Keely said...

Thank you for the update. I also called my dad and told him the good news. We are all glad that she is improving. I too would be emotional at the sight of a family member improving and getting better. I know I've said this already but if you guys need anything just let me know.

Nancy said...

I've been thinking about you guys a lot. I know that all the attention is on Angela right now and sometimes people forget how tough this kind of stuff is on the family members. I've been praying for you guys (and Angela.) I hope you're doing okay and I'm glad that her progress is giving you great hope and strength. Funny how the "weak" can strengthen the "strong" eh? Anyway, my heart goes out to your family and we'll keep all of you in our prayers. We miss you guys like crazy.