Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Halloween

This year for Halloween, I was looking for really cheap costumes for McKenzie and Owen. I am not crafty in anyway, so I won't even try to make any costumes. Since I wasn't sure when Zoey would be arriving and if she did come in time for Halloween, she would be too little to care and I didn't want to worry about her.

For Owen, I found a used Thomas the Train costume on ebay. I would show him pictures of all the costumes and he got excited whenever he saw the Thomas ones. I wait until I found a good deal and placed my bid with seconds to spare and I won the Thomas costume for $3.25! I was so excited! When the costume arrived, Owen was taking a nap. I showed McKenzie and she got really excited for Owen and couldn't wait for her costume. When Owen woke up, he saw the costume and lit up. When I tried to put it on him, he freaked out! He didn't want to wear it at all! Good thing it was only $3.25! So he ended up being Dash from the Incredibles again. Good thing it still fit from last year.

For McKenzie, I looked and looked for cheap costumes. She wanted to be Tinkerbell, Ariel, or so sort of princess. The USED girl costumes were over $20, and I didn't want to spend that much. Last year we splurged and spent $30 for a cheerleader costume, but that was just too much for this year. When I couldn't find anything, I convinced McKenzie to be Elastagirl from the Incredibles and I thought that I could MAKE Owen wear the Thomas costume.

1 week before Halloween, our neighbor called and said that she had some toys that she was donating, but if we'd like to go through them, we could. Well, it turns out that she had LOTS of dress up things that were McKenzie's size, so McKenzie went through the outfits and decided to be a ballerina. I was excited that everything worked out and I was really grateful that the neighbors thought of us. The kids really enjoy their "new" toys.

So on Halloween, our ward had a trunk or treat. First we had a soup dinner. Whatever I ate was delicious! There was a pumpkin seed spitting contest, which Matt did and a best carved pumpkin contest. Even though our pumpkin didn't win, I was glad that we spent the time together as a family to carve the pumpkin.

When it was time for the actual trunk or treat, Zoey and I stayed at the car to hand out candy and Matt took the kids around to get candy. There was TONS of kids! I wasn't expecting that many, so we ran out of candy pretty quickly.

Once the candy was gone and the kids were done going around to each car, we left and went to my parent's house. On the way there, we saw my sister, Jaime, trick or treating, so Matt took McKenzie and Owen around with my sisters. I took Zoey and visited with my Mom and grandparents. It was a lot of fun! We forgot to take the camera, so there are no pictures! I will have to take some later...

No comments: